Second Arrest in Connection with NSU Student’s Death, No Murder Charges Filed

Florida's Police Recruitment Program Draws Officers Nationwide

NATCHITOCHES, La. – Natchitoches police have apprehended another individual linked to the tragic passing of an NSU student, Ronald Caldwell. However, no murder charges have been filed thus far.

The recent arrest of Maurice Campbell II, aged 22 and hailing from Memphis, Tenn., is associated with various charges tied to evidence discovered during the investigation into Caldwell’s death. Campbell was a fellow teammate of Caldwell on the Demon football team.

Campbell is facing charges of obstruction of justice, possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, and possession of a firearm in the presence of a controlled dangerous substance. Following his arrest, he was placed in the Natchitoches Parish Detention Center.

NSU, in response to the arrest, refrained from offering comments and directed inquiries to the Police Department. Nevertheless, they issued a statement to address the situation:

“We understand that this news may be concerning and want to assure the public that we are actively monitoring the situation and cooperating with the authorities to determine any additional action that the university should take at this time,” public information director Leah Jackson said. “It is important to remember that an arrest does not imply guilt, and we must respect the legal process and the presumption of innocence until proven otherwise. We want to emphasize that the alleged actions of one individual do not reflect the values and principles of our institution. NSU is committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment for all and will take appropriate action based on the outcome of the legal process. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this challenging time.”

Last week, the Natchitoches police arrested John McIntosh, aged 27, who shared a residence with Caldwell. McIntosh faced charges of possession of a firearm in the presence of a controlled dangerous substance. He was subsequently booked into the detention center but was released on bond.

Caldwell was fatally shot multiple times in his apartment on October 12, and the investigation into his death remains ongoing.

Leave a Reply